Group Discussion Tips And Topics For Persuasive Essays
Virginia Kearney 4 days agofrom United States
Elvira, if your topic is about a person with potenital, you are probably not doing a problem solution essay. You are writing a reflection essay and I have an article which gives all of the instructions you will need, including information about how to do the introduction. Here is the link to that article:https://owlcation.com/humanities/How-to-Write-a-Re...
Elvira 4 days ago
How can I start writing my essay topic is about Aperson with potential.I don't know how to start.can you please help me?
Virginia Kearney 3 weeks agofrom United States
Kanika--It is a good idea to turn your topic into a question and an answer. Here are some examples:
What is the effect of divorce on young children (or teenagers or college students)? Your answer would be your thesis. Another topic idea could be:
What is the effect of divorce on men (or women)?
What is the effect of divorce on a person's work? See my article on how to write a cause effect paper.
Kanika 3 weeks ago
Can you help me to find topic sentence on,Effect of divorce?
Virginia Kearney 4 weeks agofrom United States
Sayed Abid sadat 4 weeks ago
Hi! I need your help to select my topic on information technology to write my artical. thank you
Virginia Kearney 6 weeks agofrom United States
Hi Mr. Johnson, I have everything you might need for writing a college essay on my website. You can look on my profile page or search for my articles on: choosing a topic; writing a thesis and topic sentences; how to organize and write different kinds of essays; using commas and semicolons correctly; easy words to use as sentence starters to write better essays and much more. I have over 100 articles about writing to help you out!
Dick Johnson 6 weeks ago
Hi! I Have An Assignment I Have To Do In My College Class On Friday And I Was Looking For Some Advise! Thanks!
Richard Cranium 6 weeks ago
This website helped my child with her homework.
Virginia Kearney 7 weeks agofrom United States
I have many articles on different subjects for you to look at. Many of the ones in this article would work fine but you can also look at my articles which are specifically for high school students. A good paper idea is one that interests you and it will be easier to write if you immediately can think of your opinion on that topic and some examples you can use from your own life, something you've read, current news or an example from literature, a movie or another video.
Stupid Pickle 7 weeks ago
I have to write an essay for English is there any topics that you would recommend for a high school freshman
tommy wensyel 2 months ago
this article was very helpful and it wasn t bias my english teacher wanted us to write an essay. it was really helpful i got a lot of good ideas
Jawaher 2 months ago
How can get out bad relationship
Virginia Kearney 3 months agofrom United States
Hi Trang--I have a lot of information to help you write your paper. Look for my articles about how to write argument, problem solution and proposal papers. In order to discuss two solutions, you just need to think about two possible answers to the question that have not yet been done. For example, in the question "How can students get enough good sleep each night?" two good answers that are equal would be: making a schedule for work and sleep, and using a technology device like a cell phone or fitbit that tracks sleep patterns.
Trang Phan 3 months ago
my writing teacher asks me to choose a pro-solution topic that is practically related to student life. After that i have to draw out two solutions which are equal to each other.It means that both of them can not be currently done. it seems so difficult
sssssss 4 months ago
How can healthcare be ensured for everyone around the world?
Damtaodu 5 months ago
How do one respond to new challenges and adapting to a different environment, living without familiar amenities, interacting with new and different types of people and studying intensively among others.
Virginia Kearney 6 months agofrom United States
Hi Kashymawoh--I'm glad you've decided on a topic for your essay. You can find everything you need to know about writing it by looking at my other articles on writing problem solution essays and writing argument essays. If you don't see the link for that, search in my profile, which you can find on the top right of the page.
kashymawoh 6 months ago
hi Virginia, i am writing an essay on solving unemployment issues in Nigeria, kindly assist me.
Virginia Kearney 7 months agofrom United States
Hi Cassandra! After you choose your topic, be sure to look at my article about how to write a solution essay. I give all the instructions you should need. If you want help revising or with punctuation, you can find articles on those topic too.
Cassandra Pines 7 months ago
I need to write a 6-7 page essay about a social movement. I don't know how to start
Virginia Kearney 9 months agofrom United States
Hi, Sparsh, Your best help would be to look at my other articles about how to write problem solution essays and argument essays. You might also like to look at my articles on Toulmin, Rogerian and Classical argument strategies. These articles include specific instruction on how to organize and outline your essay as well as how to argue effectively for your solution. In addition, they provide samples with commentary on why these work. Finally, you ought to look at my articles on how to write a great thesis and topic sentences. You can find these by searching for my name on Letterpile, or by looking on my profile page. I have over 100 articles on writing to help you out.
SPARSH AGARWAL 9 months ago
I am preparing for writing section of PCAT exam. In the writing section, there are generally problem solution essays. It is my humble request if you could provide me with a source where there are more of problem solution sample essays, so that I can prepare accordingly and practice writing on the problems mentioned above.
Virginia Kearney 11 months agofrom United States
Problems with health can be related to disease or preventative measures like diet and exercise. Here are some easy health-related topics: How can a person with Celiac disease best manage their diet? How can students best exercise and eat to be healthy? What are the best strategies to avoid illness? How can people avoid heart disease? What is the best way to stay healthy if you have diabetes?
poo 11 months ago
i want a health related topic. like people should be concerned about their health. but what problem can i state?
Stevie Glenn 12 months agofrom Minneapolis
Great topics on education! Good sources for quick education articles.
Chris Velo 14 months ago
Thank you for all the topics to write on; I would read one section thinking that I couldn't write anything only to discover a few points I had to make into a quick essay.
Virginia Kearney 14 months agofrom United States
Hi Colleen--I'd suggest you look at my Non-Profit Research Paper article for help.https://hubpages.com/literature/Research-Paper-on-...
Colleen 14 months ago
I have a Critical Analysis & Research Writing paper due the assignment is A Good for A Community: A Research Based-Solution Essay I am having the most difficult time with this. Can you help?
Virginia Kearney 15 months agofrom United States
KyLie--That is an interesting idea. The departmental final exam for my students included a question about this topic. I will see if I can add some to the list.
KyLie 15 months ago
I would like some topics on the death of Harambe the gorilla....
Karla 16 months ago
Should have a topic about animal abuse or cruelty!
Bangladesh Page 2 years ago
Here is a lot of topics to write on. It really makes me think to write something on the topics. There are some topics here I never thought that an essay can be written! Thanks for sharing.
Virginia Kearney 2 years agofrom United States
Hi Zero, I don't exactly understand what you want. Perhaps you mean you want to write an essay about "How to find a good job?" or "Solving the difficult problem of finding a good job?"
Virginia Kearney 2 years agofrom United States
Hi mtariqsattar--I actually have also written articles about how to write essays of many types. You can search for this on Hubpages or just look for the links next to my topic ideas articles.
Tariq Sattar 2 years agofrom Karachi
Hi there VirginiaLynne, I don't know how to start but you nailed it and you seem to possess command over topics. You do justify what you have said in your profile.
Anyway, I enjoyed reading your hub - it is helpful to those who are seeking to teach essay at the college or university level, and those who want to writer such a genre of essay. That is problem-solution essay.
I would ask though about the tips to writing an essay quickly and accurately at the same time. How should you as an essay writer achieve both ends?
Virginia Kearney 2 years agofrom United States
Thanks for the ideas Jaime--I may think about putting some solution ideas into another article.
b.s.s 2 years ago
Wow!! What a great topics
Virginia Kearney 2 years agofrom United States
So glad Symphony Dunbar that you are using my site to get good ideas. You must be doing a good job writing those essays too!
Symphony Dunbar 2 years ago
I love this site. I come on here, get a topic, write an essay, get an A+, just like that!
sera 3 years ago
Thanks it helped so much
Maria Cuevas 3 years ago
I would really like environment issues. It is very passionate among many.
Virginia Kearney 3 years agofrom United States
Hi Justin--Glad this helped you. I have a 5th grade daughter and two daughters in 7th. I used to teach 6th grade myself and know that you are learning a lot about writing!
justin 3 years ago
I really like the questions for the problem and solution it makes me want to improve some mistakes I made.P.S. I'm a 6th grader.
Tessa 3 years ago
Awesome website! I'm definitely going to use one of these topics. Helped a lot. Thanks!!!!!
Hyder 3 years ago
How "Education is solution all our problem" I want to write essay this topic anyone help me
Ova ELai 3 years ago
I would like a topic on counselling a teenage who thinks is having a sexually transmitted disease or HIV
Virginia Kearney 3 years agofrom United States
Thanks Ashley--I will write some topics about that!
Ashley 3 years ago
Military life topics would be great!
djelke16 3 years ago
Great topics! Thank you so much.
Dottie 4 years ago
Thank you! This was so helpful!
Rachel 4 years ago
This website is perfect! Helped me a lot, thanks!
Lcarter 4 years ago
Virginia Kearney 4 years agofrom United States
So glad I helped you Kaiya! I know that getting the right topic and finding some good information can really help someone overcome that writer's block that makes starting an essay so hard!
kaiya123 4 years ago
This helped a ton! Anyone of these topics could easily be well written, being that there is so much information about each topic. I seriously couldn't have thought of any of these topics, and this definitely helped my essay. There was many topics to choose from, depending on the area you are interested in. It made me think about what I really wanted to write about! Thanks so much!!! :)
Maria Jordan 4 years agofrom Jeffersonville PA
A meaty and worthwhile list of subjects for anyone to pursue...most thought provoking and interesting topics. Excellent job.
Voted UP and UAI. Hugs, Maria
SaM 4 years ago
This HELPED a lot! Thanks!
Pamela Oglesby 4 years agofrom United States
You really thought of so many valid topic that are all worthy of discussion. Anyone of this topic could easily be written about and really there are so many problems, it is a bit overwhelming, but then we must start somewhere. This is a great idea for a hub and no one should have to have writer's block anymore. Voted up and useful.
Are you struggling to find good persuasive speech topics? It can be hard to find a topic that interests both you and your audience, but in this guide we’ve done the hard work and created a list of 105 great persuasive speech ideas. They’re organized into ten categories and cover a variety of topics, so you’re sure to find one that interests you.
In addition to our list, we also go over which factors make good persuasive speech topics and three tips you should follow when researching and writing your persuasive speech.
What Makes a Good Persuasive Speech Topic?
What makes certain persuasive speech topics better than others? There are numerous reasons, but in this section we discuss three of the most important factors of great topics for a persuasive speech.
It’s Something You Know About or Are Interested in Learning About
The most important factor in choosing and creating a great persuasive speech is picking a topic you care about and are interested in. You’ll need to do a lot of research on this topic, and if it’s something you like learning about, that’ll make the process much easier and more enjoyable. It’ll also help you sound passionate and informed when you talk, both important factors in giving an excellent persuasive speech.
It’s a Topic People Care About
In fourth grade, after being told I could give a persuasive speech on any topic I wanted to, I chose to discuss why the Saguaro cactus should be the United State’s national plant. Even though I gave an impassioned talk and drew a life-size Saguaro cactus on butcher paper to hang behind me, I doubt anyone enjoyed the speech much.
I’d recently returned from a family vacation to Arizona where I’d seen Saguaro cacti for the first time and decided they were the coolest thing ever. However, most people don’t care that much about Saguaro cacti, and most people don’t care what our national plant is or if we even have one (for the record, the US has a national flower, and it’s the rose).
Spare yourself the smattering of bored applause my nine-old self got at the end of my speech and choose something you think people will be interested in hearing about. This also ties into knowing your audience, which we discuss more in the final section.
It Isn’t Overdone
When I was in high school, nearly every persuasive speech my classmates and I were assigned was the exact same topic: should the drinking age be lowered to 18? I got this prompt in English class, on standardized tests, in speech and debate class, etc. I’ve written and presented about it so often I could probably still rattle off all the main points of my old speeches word-for-word.
You can imagine that everyone’s eyes glazed over whenever classmates gave their speeches on this topic. We’d heard about it so many times that, even if it was a topic we cared about, speeches on it just didn’t interest us anymore.
The are many potential topics for a persuasive speech. Be wary of choosing one that's cliche or overdone. Even if you give a great speech, it’ll be harder to keep your audience interested if they feel like they already know what you’re going to say.
An exception to this rule is that if you feel you have a new viewpoint or facts about the topic that currently aren’t common knowledge. Including them can make an overdone topic interesting. If you do this, be sure to make it clear early on in your speech that you have unique info or opinions on the topic so your audience knows to expect something new.
105 Topics for a Persuasive Speech
Here’s our list of 105 great persuasive speech ideas. We made sure to choose topics that aren’t overdone, yet that many people will have an interest in, and we also made a point of choosing topics with multiple viewpoints rather than simplistic topics that have a more obvious right answer (i.e. Is bullying bad?). The topics are organized into ten categories.
- Should art and music therapy be covered by health insurance?
- Should all students be required to learn an instrument in school?
- Should all national museums be free to citizens?
- Should graffiti be considered art?
- Should offensive language be removed from works of classic literature?
- Are paper books better than e-books?
- Should all interns be paid for their work?
- Should employees receive bonuses for walking or biking to work?
- Will Brexit hurt or help the UK’s economy?
- Should all people over the age of 65 be able to ride the bus for free?
- Should the federal minimum wage be increased?
- Should tipping in restaurants be mandatory?
- Should Black Friday sales be allowed to start on Thanksgiving?
- Should students who bully others be expelled?
- Should all schools require students wear uniforms?
- Should boys and girls be taught in separate classrooms?
- Should students be allowed to listen to music during study hall?
- Should all elementary schools be required to teach a foreign language?
- Should schools include meditation or relaxation breaks during the day?
- Should grades in gym class affect students’ GPAs?
- Should teachers get a bonus when their students score well on standardized tests?
- Should children of illegal immigrants be allowed to attend public schools?
- Should students get paid for getting a certain GPA?
- Should students be allowed to have their cell phones with them during school?
- Should high school students be allowed to leave school during lunch breaks?
- Should Greek life at colleges be abolished?
- Should high school students be required to volunteer a certain number of hours before they can graduate?
- Should schools still teach cursive handwriting?
- What are the best ways for schools to stop bullying?
- Should prostitution be legalized?
- Should people with more than one DUI lose their driver’s license?
- Should people be required to shovel snow from the sidewalks in front of their house?
- Should minors be able to drink alcohol in their home if they have their parent’s consent?
- Should guns be allowed on college campuses?
- Should flag burning as a form of protest be illegal?
- Should welfare recipients be required to pass a drug test?
- Should white supremacist groups be allowed to hold rallies in public places?
- Should assault weapons be illegal?
- Should the death penalty be abolished?
- Should beauty pageants for children be banned?
- Is it OK to refuse to serve same-sex couples based on religious beliefs?
- Should transgender people be allowed to serve in the military?
- Is it better to live together before marriage or to wait?
- Should affirmative action be allowed?
- Should prisoners be allowed to vote?
- Should Columbus Day be replaced with Indigenous Peoples’ Day?
- Should the government spend more money on developing high-speed rail lines and less on building new roads?
- Should the government be allowed to censor internet content deemed inappropriate?
- Should Puerto Rico become the 51st state?
- Should Scotland declare independence from the United Kingdom?
- Whose face should be on the next new currency printed by the US?
- Should people convicted of drug possession be sent to recovery programs instead of jail?
- Should voting be made compulsory?
- Who was the best American president?
- Should the military budget be reduced?
- Should the President be allowed to serve more than two terms?
- Should a border fence be built between the United States and Mexico?
- Should countries pay ransom to terrorist groups in order to free hostages?
- Should minors be able to purchase birth control without their parent’s consent?
- Should hiding or lying about your HIV status with someone you’re sleeping with be illegal?
- Should governments tax soda and other sugary drinks and use the revenue for public health?
- Should high schools provide free condoms to students?
- Should the US switch to single-payer health care?
- Should healthy people be required to regularly donate blood?
- Should assisted suicide be legal?
- Should religious organizations be required to pay taxes?
- Should priests be allowed to get married?
- Should the religious slaughter of animals be banned?
- Should the Church of Scientology be exempt from paying taxes?
- Should women be allowed to be priests?
- Should countries be allowed to only accept refugees with certain religious beliefs?
- Should public prayer be allowed in schools?
- Should human cloning be allowed?
- Should people be allowed to own exotic animals like tigers and monkeys?
- Should “animal selfies” in tourist locations with well-known animal species (like koalas and tigers) be allowed?
- Should genetically modified foods be sold in grocery stores?
- Should people be allowed to own pit bulls?
- Should parents be allowed to choose the sex of their unborn children?
- Should vaccinations be required for students to attend public school?
- What is the best type of renewable energy?
- Should plastic bags be banned in grocery stores?
- Should the United States rejoin the Paris Agreement?
- Should puppy mills be banned?
- Should fracking be legal?
- Should animal testing be illegal?
- Should offshore drilling be allowed in protected marine areas?
- Should the US government increase NASA’s budget?
- Should Pluto still be considered a planet?
- Should college athletes be paid for being on a sports team?
- Should all athletes be required to pass regular drug tests?
- Should professional female athletes be paid the same as male athletes in the same sport?
- Are there any cases when athletes should be allowed to use steroids?
- Should college sports teams receive less funding?
- Should boxing be illegal?
- Should schools be required to teach all students how to swim?
- Should cheerleading be considered a sport?
- Should parents let their children play tackle football?
- Will robots reduce or increase human employment opportunities?
- What age should children be allowed to have a cell phone?
- Should libraries be replaced with unlimited access to e-books?
- Overall, has technology helped connect people or isolate them?
- Should self-driving cars be legal?
- Should all new buildings be energy efficient?
- Is Net Neutrality a good thing or a bad thing?
- Do violent video games encourage players to become violent in real life?
3 Bonus Tips for Crafting Your Persuasive Speech
Of course, giving a great persuasive speech requires more than just choosing a good topic. Follow the three tips below to create an outstanding speech that’ll interest and impress your audience.
Do Your Research
For a persuasive speech, there’s nothing worse than getting an audience question that shows you misunderstood the issue or left an important piece out. It makes your entire speech look weak and unconvincing.
Before you start writing a single word of your speech, be sure to do lots of research on all sides of the topic. Look at different sources and points of view to be sure you’re getting the full picture, and if you know any experts on the topic, be sure to ask their opinion too.
Consider All the Angles
Persuasive speech topics are rarely black and white, which means there will be multiple sides and viewpoints on the topic. For example, for the topic “Should people be allowed to own pit bulls?” there are two obvious viewpoints: everyone should be allowed to own a pit bull if they want to, and no one should be allowed to own a pit bull. But there are other options you should also consider: people should only own a pit bull if they pass a dog training class, people should be able to own pit bulls, but only if it’s the only dog they own, people should be able to own pi tbulls but only if they live a certain distance from schools, people should be able to own pit bulls only if the dog passes an obedience class, etc.
Thinking about all these angles and including them in your speech will make you seem well-informed on the topic, and it’ll increase the quality of your speech by looking at difference nuances of the issue.
Know Your Audience
Whenever you give a speech, it’s important to consider your audience, and this is especially true for persuasive speeches when you’re trying to convince people to believe a certain viewpoint. When writing your speech, think about what your audience likely already knows about the topic, what they probably need explained, and what aspects of the topic they care about most. Also consider what the audience will be most concerned about for a certain topic, and be sure to address those concerns.
For example, if you’re giving a speech to a Catholic organization on why you think priests should be allowed to marry, you don’t need to go over the history of Catholicism or its core beliefs (which they probably already know), but you should mention any research or prominent opinions that support your view (which they likely don’t know about). They may be concerned that priests who marry won’t be as committed to God or their congregations, so be sure to address those concerns and why they shouldn’t worry about them as much as they may think. Discussing your topic with people (ideally those with viewpoints similar to those of your future audience) before you give your speech is a good way to get a better understanding of how your audience thinks.
Conclusion: Persuasive Speech Ideas
Good persuasive speech topics can be difficult to think of, but in this guide we’ve compiled a list of 105 interesting persuasive speech topics for you to look through.
The best persuasive speech ideas will be on a topic you’re interested in, aren’t overdone, and will be about something your audience cares about.
After you’ve chosen your topic, keep these three tips in mind when writing your persuasive speech:
- Do your research
- Consider all the angles
- Know your audience
Want a great GPA? Check out our step-by-step guide to getting good grades in high school so you can have a stellar transcript.
Interested in learning about other great extracurricular opportunities? Learn more about job shadowing, community service, and volunteer abroad programs.
Still trying to figure out your courses? Check out our expert guide on which classes you should take in high school.
Want to improve your SAT score by 160 points or your ACT score by 4 points? We've written a guide for each test about the top 5 strategies you must be using to have a shot at improving your score. Download it for free now: